Monday, April 30, 2007

I'M BACK...

And boy did I have fun. I didn't take as many pictures as I wanted, but I did take a few.

Our first night in town we decided to go to the bar we had heard about through "The Yarn Harlot" and a couple other Toronto bloggers. I present to you "THE SPOTTED DICK!"
Here I am at the entrance being silly as usual. And here's my friend Amy showing off the ruffle scarf I was working on.
Don't we look like we were having a good time?

Here's the group in the bar. (left to right, Angela, Amy, Beth, Marilyn, and Joann)

Here's the view from our hotel window. I love the little flying saucer (lol) at the City Hall building. And here's the clock tower on the "Old City Hall"
We're off to "The Knitters Frolic"

I had such a good time, and met a lot of truly talented people. And even a couple of famous ones.

Here's the beautiful work of fibre artist Wendo. She was kind enough to let me take a picture of her and some of the items she had available at the show.


Here I am with Connie from Pick Up Sticks and Knit!. It was so cool to meet her, and I actually scored some Duets sock yarn. Woo Hoo!! I had been stalking her site for weeks trying to get some. And I have to say, the yarn is even prettier in person.

Here I am having my first taste of sushi. That's right ladies and gents. I tasted it once years ago, and hadn't had any since. It was actually very good. I can't wait to have it again.

Right after that, we were headed back out to the market area, and who did Amy spot...
That's right! That's me and "The Yarn Harlot". I was as giddy as a school girl. When I had heard or read people talk about how nice she was, I don't think I really believed it. But I too have to wax poetic about what a nice, friendly, personable woman she is. Even though we were interrupting her shopping, she graciously posed for pictures, shook hands, and even suggested a great yarn from Red Bird Knits, which I of course bought immediately. How could I not. When The Harlot suggests a yarn you run right out and buy it. (at least I do!)

The Frolic was held in the Japanese Canadian Cultural Centre. And the architecture was too beautiful to just walk past, and not admire. So even though it was drizzling just a bit, I had my picture taken in the Zen garden (at least I think that's what it was). The trees and statue were too pretty not to immortalize.

While we were waiting for the bus to take us back downtown. Angela and I decided to frolic at the "Frolic's" sign. And Amy and I posed with the bus stop artwork.

After the Frolic we went to the largest yarn store I have ever seen. If you ever get to Toronto, make sure you make a stop at "Romni Wools". To give you an idea of how big this store is, this is a pic of me taken by one of the very friendly clerks. In this picture I was standing in the middle of the store, and she was near the front door. My mouth dropped open when we walked in. I couldn't believe how huge it was, and how much yarn they had. There is also a huge stock of coned yarns and a full room of sale yarns downstairs. That's right I said "downstairs". Romni has two levels people. This store alone would have been worth the trip.

On our last day we took a trip to the most quaint yarn shop. "Lettuce Knit" was a small shop, in a very deceptive neighborhood. You would never know there was a yarn shop there, if you didn't know there was a yarn shop there. And I absolutely loved it.



In the end the trip was pretty good fun. There were a few bumps along the way, and a great big bump at the end (check out Amy blog for more details), but all in all I had a great time, with some great friends.

I had a few pics I took with my camera phone, but I'm having trouble posting them. I'll try to get them, and my stash enhancement purchases pics up over the next couple of days.

Bye for now!

5 comments:

Adrienne said...

Looks like you had a wonderful time!!!!

Amy said...

Oh yes, the bumps! We had a great time, didn't we?

buttercup said...

What a great time you had! The Harlot is the most lovely person. I've met her twice and the second time (at Rhinebeck) she said "Oh yes, I remember meeting you." Amazing!

You got some really beautiful yarns and I don't blame you one bit for all the purple. It is the color of royalty. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I was dying to find out how much fun you had. . .I haven't been able to make a comment on my computer at school. We had a great time on retreat too. . .lots o' fiber purchases by us too, but no famous knitter spottings. Romni IS amazing, isn't it? See you soon.

Anonymous said...

Spotted Dick is a pudding in the UK. Looks like you've had a great holiday!
I hope my parcel arrives soon.