Sunday, January 04, 2009

DO THEY KNOW ME AT ALL?


After the blind date I went on yesterday, I'd say my family has no idea who I am, or what I am looking for in a relationship. Nor do they bother to find out what kind of man they are setting me up with, or what he is looking for.

As you can probably tell, I had another unsuccessful blind date. At least this time the man was a perfect gentleman. Very nice, handsome, funny, and if I must admit - he smelled damn good too. This time the problem was my aunt's total lack of investigation before she set up the date. I was not even close to what this man was looking for. Which was actually a big disappointment for me.

Don't get me wrong. I am happy with who I am (if not completely-happy enough), what I do (being a blue collar worker is not a bad thing), what I have and have not accomplished (some people just aren't cut out for college), and where my life is going (actually have no idea, but will make it work out no matter what). But this nice professional man was looking for a professional, educated woman. Which I am not.

He was very nice during the dinner, and we even had a few drinks afterwards. But it was clear to both of us that there would not be a second date. Which actually disappointed me a bit. But he has a very clear idea of what he wants, and I'm not it.

I would rather to have not met him at all, than to have met him, liked him, and know that I'm not right for him and will probably never see him again. But oh well!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, "NO BLIND DATES, EVER!!!"  Especially blind dates set up by my family, who have no idea how to set people up.

3 comments:

Mrs. Kirchner said...

I'm sorry, Sonya - I know that must have been frustrating - and I admire you for knowing yourself so well - even if your family doesn't! Hugs!

Larjmarj said...

Sorry to hear that things didn't work out. I don't know that my family would do any better as they are all pretty clueless as to what I'm about. Hugs here too...

Dana said...

You are truly a patient woman to even consider family-arranged blind dates. Most people don't think about the matching part, just that two people are single and why SHOULDN'T they fix you up? Frustrating, I'm sure. Good luck and hang in there, we think you're a perfect match for US!