Sunday, November 09, 2008

CAN YOU SAY OBSESSED... (my story from desire to obsession)

(very picture heavy post)



As you may have noticed, I can/am!

From the moment I started knitting, shopping knitting stores, going to S&B's, reading blogs, surfing etsy and Ravelry,  and just being in the world of knitting, I swore that the last thing I would do was spin my own yarn.  BOY did I go back on that one!

I think it started for me Oct. 16th at knit night with my friends, N. and M..  N. was showing us a couple of projects she made from her hand spun.  And the bug crawled up my leg.  Then M. and N. started fondling some gorgeous fiber one of them (I don't remember which) had recently purchased, and the bug barred it's teeth.  Then N. started spindle spinning some fiber, and the bug sunk his teeth into my flesh.  Needless to say, "That's All She Wrote!"  I was an almost instant convert.

The next day I went to one of my lys's that carries fiber and spindles and made my first purchase.  That night I went home and stared at the cute spindle, having no idea where to begin.  I started surfing through Youtube videos and found lots of helpful information.  Unfortunately for me, I'm more of a one-on-one type of learner.  So, at my next SnB I asked my good friend A. if she would show me the basics, (and being the great friend she is she put down what she was working on an showed me how to begin).  At first I didn't think I liked it.  My first few spins were lumpy and bumpy and not at all cute to look at, or even consider knitting.  So to the back of my mind went the desire to spindle spin.  For all of about several hours.  After watching more videos, especially this one, and more fondling of the fiber and spindle, I picked it back up and tried again.  The rest, shall we say, is history.

That is until I realized yesterday that I have seven spindles, (some purchased here, here, and here) and plastic bin full of fiber (some from here, here, here, and here), to name a few.  I had to ask myself,  "What the H*LL!"  On my way to a local fiber store with a couple of friends, I resigned myself to the fact that I'm an Obsessive Compulsive Personality (and proud of it!)!  When I get interested in something, I go head first - full throttle - ass out - no worries or cares!  And this is the results of my latest obsession, several weeks of etsy shopping, and web surfing:

  
  
 




































Well, that's my story, including pictures, and I'm sticking to it!

Have a great weekend everyone.  I'm off to obsess a little bit more.

S.

2 comments:

Jerry said...

can't wait to see the progress that I know you will make on your spinning. You have the bug.

Crochet Goddess said...

Good luck with your new obsession. I hope you post pictures of your work.