Monday, May 26, 2008

TO THE PRUDE IN ME


Last night I went with my aunt and cousin to see "The Color Purple".  I must say I was thoroughly disappointed.  I had heard such great things about the play.  From people who saw it on Broadway.  But I'm afraid to say the traveling show didn't live up to the hype.

My mother saw the play in New York, so I now know that the traveling production is very different from the Broadway version.  For starters, there was way to much unnecessary "bumpin' and grinding" for my comfort.  Hence the "prude" in the title.  There were quite a few children in the audience under the age of 16, and some of their parents were not pleased with it either.

I was also disappointed by the fact that not one song from the movie was performed.  And according to my mother, at least two of the original songs were performed in the Broadway Production.  A fact that my aunt couldn't let go of.  She was really looking forward to the gospel song from the movie.

The actual context of the movie had been greatly altered too.  Several points from the movie were skipped over.  And one issue in particular was addressed and forced on us.  Over and Over Again!  It was almost like a completely different story line.  What a shame.  I hate being forced a minor point, while more important issues aren't even addressed.  

I thought it was strange that the play has been hear for several days and I hadn't heard a thing about it.  No one has been singing it's praises, or raving about what a great production it is.  I really wish I had seen it on Broadway.  I think the traveling company is not doing it any justice.

Or maybe it's just the "Prude" in me...

1 comment:

DeltaPurl said...

I saw the play twice on Broadway. I don't remember them performing songs from the movie. I did find the play to be a lot different from the movie. When I saw the play it didn't have much bumping and grinding. The second time they did rearrange the scenes.